The first lighthouse at Eastern Point was built in 1832, on the point of land
south of Gloucester. Nearly 60 years
later, the Lighthouse Board ordered a replacement tower built in 1890. The
36 ft. white brick tower had a fourth-order lens, but now shines a beacon
optic. In the 1880's artist Winslow Homer lived at Eastern Point.
The station was automated in 1986 and remains an active aid to navigation.
It is owned by the Coast Guard, but the light is easily seen from the
nearby breakwater and beach. Just drive south of Gloucester on East Main St.,
past the Rocky Neck art colony area, and look for the signs to Eastern Point.