Thirty miles east of the mouth of the Niagara river, a lighthouse was built on Golden Hill in 1875. A third order Fresnel lens shone from the 61 foot tower until 1959, when the lighthouse was deactivated and the lens removed. Both the tower and attached keepers quarters were constructed from hand-carved limestone blocks. Today the lantern is fitted with a plastic optic. The architecture of the tower and attached keepers house are strong and graceful, characteristic of many Lake Ontario lighthouses. Included on the site is an old oil house.
Today the lighthouse sits amidst the campsites of Golden Hill State Park, and a nature trail begins at the light and winds down to the mouth of Golden Hill Creak. 716-795-3885.